Get the latest gossip

‘It was revenge for our movie’: Oscar winner says soldiers helped settlers attack him in West Bank


Exclusive: Filmmaker who won an Oscar earlier this month says Israeli settlers were aided by IDF soldiers who beat him with their rifles

During an attack on Oscar-winning Palestinian director Hamdan Ballal on Monday, Israeli settlers were aided by two Israel Defense Forces soldiers who beat him with the butt of their rifles outside his home and threatened to kill him, the film-maker has said. In an interview with the Guardian, Ballal, one of the four directors of the film No Other Land, which documented the destruction of villages in the West Bank and won best documentary at this year’s Academy Awards, recounted how two Israeli soldiers first encircled him while a settler was assaulting him, before violently striking him on the head and threatening to shoot him. Injured, handcuffed and blindfolded, Ballal and two other Palestinians were moved by the soldiers to a military vehicle and then to a police station in the West Bank settlement of Kiryat Arba, where they spent the night on the floor and were forced to sleep under a freezing air conditioner.

Get the Android app

Or read this on The Guardian

Read more on:

Photo of hamdan ballal

hamdan ballal

Photo of west bank

west bank

Related news:

News photo

‘No Other Land’ Co-Director Says U.S. Academy ‘Refused’ to Issue Statement in Support of Hamdan Ballal: They Were ‘Silent When a Filmmaker They Honored Needed Them the Most’

News photo

‘No Other Land’ Director Says “US Academy Declined To Publicly Support Hamdan Ballal” Following Attack And Detainment

News photo

'No Other Land' Co-Director Hamdan Ballal Freed After Being Attacked & Detained in West Bank